The application period for the Spring 2017 semester is now closed. Check back in March for program announcements, including deadlines for the Fall 2017 semester.
Tech for Social Good provides funding support from $200 – $1,000 for UC Berkeley individual students, student organizations or student groups to develop events or programming that improve and support technological innovation in the following categories: Health, People & Robots, Connected Communities, Sustainable Infrastructure, Diversity and Inclusion in Tech.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible and how can I apply?
- UC Berkeley students affiliated with a UC Berkeley ASUC recognized club or organization are eligible to apply.
- Please complete the online application.
What are the deadlines for applying?
- The deadline to apply for student-led events and programming funding for the 2016-17 academic year was January 15th at 11:59PM.
- The application period is now closed and proposals are under review. Award recipients will be announced in mid February, 2017.
How much funding can I apply for?
- Student-led events and programs can apply for funding from $200 – $1,000 per event, per academic year.
- Only one application per club or organization will be accepted per academic year.
- You must complete the budget template form (.xls template) and submit with your online application.
What types of events and programming are funded?
- Events and programming examples include, but are not limited to: Student-run hackathons and guest speaker events or series, conference & symposia fees, tech treks.
- Specific examples include:
What are the requirements for a student-led event or program application?
- The student organization MUST be an ASUC recognized club or organization. A sponsoring staff or partner must confirm approval and a Partner Approval Form must be submitted with your online application.
- Event or programming must be open to other matriculated UC Berkeley students
- The project plan must include a detailed description for how the project will be monitored, including tracking, recording, and reporting these benefits back to the Tech for Social Good Review Committee.
- Projects must have publicity, education and outreach considerations, including a minimum of two “blog” posts or articles, and multimedia documentation (e.g., photos and video) to be shared via the CITRIS website and social media, where appropriate.
- All project teams must present a recap of their event or programming at a CITRIS-organized showcase event in April 2017.
- Events and programming funded through this grant are expected to be completed from time funds are received by August 31, 2017.
I would only like to reserve a room in Sutardja Dai Hall for my student-led event and do not need funding support. Do I need to apply for the Tech for Social Good Student-Led Event Grant?
- Yes. Please submit your application for a room request through the Tech for Social Good Student-Led Event Grant form.
- Step 1: Please indicate on the Student-Led Event Grant form that you are not requesting funds by selecting “Student-led Event (Room Comp ONLY)” under Project Category.
- Step 2: Click on the “Room Reservation Form” link on the application and submit the CITRIS “Reserve a Room” form. The “Reserve a Room” form must be completed in order to be considered for a room comp.
What is the timeline to apply for and receive funding through the Tech for Social Good Student-led Events track?
- Please see timeline below