Tech for Social Good provides funding support from $200 – $1,000 for UC Berkeley individual students, student organizations or student groups to develop events or programming that improve and support technological innovation in the following categories: Health, People & Robots, Connected Communities, Sustainable Infrastructure, Diversity and Inclusion in Tech.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible and how can I apply?
- UC Berkeley students affiliated with a UC Berkeley ASUC recognized club or organization are eligible to apply.
- Please complete the online application here.
What are the deadlines for applying?
- There are two opportunities to apply for student-led events and programming funding for the 2016-17 academic year:
- January 15th at 11:59PM
- Award recipients will be announced in mid February, 2017
- February 12th at 11:59PM
- Award recipients will be announced on Tuesday, March 7, 2017
- January 15th at 11:59PM
How much funding can I apply for?
- Student-led events and programs can apply for funding from $200 – $1,000 per event, per academic year.
- Only one application per club or organization will be accepted per academic year.
- You must complete the budget template form (.xls template) and submit with your online application.
What types of events and programming are funded?
- Events and programming examples include, but are not limited to: Student-run hackathons and guest speaker events or series, conference & symposia fees, tech treks.
- Specific examples include:
What are the requirements for a student-led event or program application?
- The student organization MUST be an ASUC recognized club or organization. A sponsoring staff or partner must confirm approval and a Partner Approval Form must be submitted with your online application.
- Event or programming must be open to other matriculated UC Berkeley students
- The project plan must include a detailed description for how the project will be monitored, including tracking, recording, and reporting these benefits back to the Tech for Social Good Review Committee.
- Projects must have publicity, education and outreach considerations, including a minimum of two “blog” posts or articles, and multimedia documentation (e.g., photos and video) to be shared via the CITRIS website and social media, where appropriate.
- All project teams must present a recap of their event or programming at a CITRIS-organized showcase event in April 2017.
- Events and programming funded through this grant are expected to be completed from time funds are received by August 31, 2017.
I would only like to reserve a room in Sutardja Dai Hall for my student-led event and do not need funding support. Do I need to apply for the Tech for Social Good Student-Led Event Grant?
- Yes. Please submit your application for a room request through the Tech for Social Good Student-Led Event Grant form.
- Step 1: Please indicate on the Student-Led Event Grant form that you are not requesting funds by selecting “Student-led Event (Room Comp ONLY)” under Project Category.
- Step 2: Click on the “Room Reservation Form” link on the application and submit the CITRIS “Reserve a Room” form. The “Reserve a Room” form must be completed in order to be considered for a room comp.
What is the timeline to apply for and receive funding through the Tech for Social Good Student-led Events track?
- Please see timeline below