Tech for Social Good provides funding support of $200 – $1,000 for UC Berkeley individual students, student organizations or student groups to develop events or programming that improve and support technological innovations that support healthy, sustainable, and connected communities. Events and programming that support diversity and inclusion in tech are also encouraged.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible and how can I apply?
- UC Berkeley students affiliated with a UC Berkeley ASUC recognized club or organization or are sponsored by a faculty/staff member are eligible to apply.
What are the deadlines for applying?
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis throughout the fall 2019 semester. Funding decisions will be made as applications are received. Applications for the spring 2020 semester will be accepted starting on Wed., Nov. 13.
How much funding can I apply for?
- Student-led events and programs can apply for funding from $200 – $1,000 per event, per academic year.
- Only one application per club or organization will be accepted per academic year.
What types of events and programming are funded?
- Events and programming examples include, but are not limited to:
- Student-run hackathons
- Guest speaker events or series
- Conference & symposia fees
- Tech treks
- Specific examples include:
What are the requirements for a student-led event or program application?
- Student organizations/clubs should be recognized by ASUC. If you are not recognized by ASUC, the name of a sponsoring faculty or staff member must be included on your online application.
- Event or programming must be open to other matriculated UC Berkeley students
- The project plan must include a detailed description for how the project will be monitored, including tracking, recording, and reporting these benefits back to the Tech for Social Good Review Committee.
- All applicants must complete the budget template (.xls template) and submit it with the online application.
- Awardees must provide a short summary/ blog post about the event/program and include multimedia documentation (e.g., photos and video) to be shared via the CITRIS website and social media, where appropriate.
- Student-led events and programs are encouraged to present a recap of their event or programming at a CITRIS-organized showcase on April 29, 2020 from 2-4 pm in Banatao Auditorium, Sutardja Dai Hall.
- Events and programming funded through this grant are expected to be completed from time funds are received by August 2020.
I would only like to reserve a room in Sutardja Dai Hall for my student-led event/program. Do I need to apply for the Tech for Social Good Student-Led Event Grant?
- Yes. Please submit your application for a room request through the Tech for Social Good Student-Led Event application form. You will need to click on the “Room Reservation Form” link on the application form and submit the CITRIS “Reserve a Room” form. The CITRIS “Reserve a Room” form must be completed in order to be considered for a room.
What is the timeline to apply for and receive funding through the Tech for Social Good Student-led Events track?
- Wed., Aug. 28: Application Form Opens
- Mon., Sept. 9 4:00 – 5:00 pm, Room 250, Sutardja Dai Hall: Tech for Social Good Info Session & Matchmaking Event. RSVP: tiny.cc/TSGInfoSession2019
- Wed., Nov. 13: Applications for Spring 2020 Tech for Social Good Student-Led Events Track Opens
- Cancelled –
Wed., April 29, 2020, 2:00 – 4:00 pm, Banatao Auditorium, Sutardja Dai Hall, UC Berkeley: Tech for Social Good Showcase Event held at UC Berkeley