Deadlines for the fall 2018 application cycle will be announced soon
The Tech For Social Good Program provides funding support of $500 – $5,000 for projects that promote social good by supporting healthy, sustainable, prosperous, and equitable livelihoods in the United States and abroad. Projects that develop online tools, including social media, mapping interfaces, and websites to enhance public engagement in cultural, political, social, and economic issues are encouraged, as well as innovative development and application of artificial intelligence/machine learning models that address the following problem areas, among others:
- Domestic and Global Poverty
- Government Responsiveness & Civic Engagement
- Enhancing Education
Projects should support collaboration between students across diverse discipline, advance technological innovation, and foster engagement with community or campus organizations and stakeholders.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is eligible?
- UC Berkeley undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral student teams of at least 2 students are eligible to apply.
What are the deadlines for applying?
- Deadline for the Fall 2018 applications will be announced shortly
How much funding can I apply for?
- Tech Development applicants can apply for funding from $500 – $5,000, per academic year.
- Only one application per student and team will be accepted per academic year.
What are the requirements for a Tech Development application?
- Teams of at least 2 people, maximum of 4 people.
- Teams should be composed of individuals from different academic disciplines who are currently enrolled.
- All applicants must be affiliated with UC Berkeley. Teams should be composed of undergraduate students, graduate students, and/or postdocs.
- Teams must have a UC Berkeley faculty or staff member to serve as their advisor and to manage the funding. You must include the name and contact information for your faculty/staff advisor on your application form.
- Teams are required to put together a project plan that includes a detailed plan for tracking, recording, and reporting progress and achievements back to the Tech for Social Good Review Committee.
- You must complete the budget template form (.xls template) and submit with your online application.
- Teams must produce a minimum of two “blog” posts or articles, and multimedia documentation (e.g., photos and video) to be shared via the CITRIS and the Banatao Institute website and social media, where appropriate.
- All project teams must present their project at a CITRIS and the Banatao Institute-organized showcase event during the spring semester.
- PLEASE NOTE: It is your responsibility to determine if your project includes “Human Subjects Research.” If yes, you must ensure that all IRB approvals, if necessary, have been obtained before work on your project begins. NO FUNDS WILL BE ALLOCATED FOR ANY PART OF YOUR PROJECT if verification in the form of the review letter from IRB has not been received. More information on IRB requirements available at http://cphs.berkeley.edu/
What types of projects are funded?
- For example funded projects, please visit the Funded Projects page.
What is the timeline to apply for and receive funding through the Tech for Social Good Tech Development track?
- Deadlines for the fall 2018 application cycle will be announced soon