The application period for the Spring 2017 semester is now closed. Check back in March for program announcements, including deadlines for the Fall 2017 semester.
The Tech For Social Good Program provides funding support of $500 – $2,000 to support early-stage technology research, hardware, software, web or mobile application development that address issues in Health, People & Robots, Connected Communities, Sustainable Infrastructures, and Diversity and Inclusion in Tech.
Projects must support collaboration between students across diverse disciplines; advance technological innovation that promotes healthy, sustainable, connected, and equitable livelihoods within underserved communities; and foster engagement with community or campus organizations and stakeholders.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is eligible and how can I apply?
- UC Berkeley undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral student teams of at least 2 students are eligible to apply.
- Please complete the online application.
What are the deadlines for applying?
- Deadline for the Tech Development application was Sunday, January 15th at 11:59PM.
- The application period is now closed and proposals are under review. Award recipients will be announced in mid February, 2017
How much funding can I apply for?
- Tech Development applicants can apply for funding from $500 – $2,000, per academic year.
- Only one application per student and team will be accepted per academic year.
- You must complete the budget template form (.xls template) and submit with your online application.
What are the requirements for a Tech Development application?
- Teams of at least 2 people, maximum of 4 people.
- Teams should be composed of individuals from different academic disciplines who are currently enrolled.
- All applicants must be affiliated with UC Berkeley.Teams should be composed of undergraduate students, graduate students, and/or postdocs.
- Teams must have a university partner (department, staff or faculty member) to engage with in the implementation of their technology and to manage the funding.
- Proposals must have a faculty, staff or sponsoring campus entity identified. You must confirm approval and submit the Partner Approval Form with your online application.
- Teams are encouraged to non-university community partner to engage with in the implementation of their technology. If a community partner cannot be identified at the time of submitting the application, you will be asked to specify whether your team will identify a community partner at a future date on your application.
- Research projects should be capable of implementation/initial field tests by April 2017.
- Projects shall have a mechanism for progress evaluations, metrics collections and follow-up after funding has been disbursed. The project plan must include a detailed plan for tracking, recording, and reporting these benefits back to the Tech for Social Good Review Committee.
- Projects must have publicity, education and outreach considerations,including a minimum of two “blog” posts or articles, and multimedia documentation (e.g., photos and video) to be shared via the CITRIS and the Banatao Institute website and social media, where appropriate.
- Project work is expected to be completed from time funds are received by the end of August 2017.
- All project teams must present their work to date at a CITRIS and the Banatao Institute-organized showcase event in April 2017.
- PLEASE NOTE: It is your responsibility to determine if your project includes “Human Subjects Research.” If yes, you must ensure that all IRB approvals, if necessary, have been obtained before work on your project begins. NO FUNDS WILL BE ALLOCATED FOR ANY PART OF YOUR PROJECT if verification in the form of the review letter from IRB has not been received. More information on IRB requirements available at http://cphs.berkeley.edu/
What types of projects are funded?
- For example funded projects, please visit the Funded Projects page.
What is the timeline to apply for and receive funding through the Tech for Social Good Tech Development track?
- Please see timeline below.